The engagement session. It starts out as something you both are SO excited to do and then the question of ‘what to wear?’ causes a bit of anxiety. The engagement session is so important for wedding wedding day photos and is really a ton of fun. I have put together a few tips about what to wear and how this time together taking photos accomplishes several things:
- It helps me to get to know you as a couple and vice versa. Often times, I have only met the couple once in person, if even at all. This time spent together in a relaxed environment, with no pressure or schedule constraints is vital. It allows us to chat, get to know one another, laugh, connect and most importantly interact with the camera present all while getting great photographs!
- It helps you get comfortable in front of the camera. Believe me, I know how uncomfortable it is to have a camera pointed at you. Until I started my photography business, I always ran from the camera. I then realized how important it was for me to have pictures taken, so I remember what it feels like on the other side of the camera. It’s usually quite awkward. This time helps me gauge how much direction a couple needs and how much interaction I need to give in order for them to feel more comfortable. The pictures at the end of a session are more candid and fun- I love watching the progression while editing. It happens every time!
- It makes wedding day SO much easier and a lot more fun for you now that you know what to expect.
So….what to wear? Here are a few tips and suggestions:
- The key to engagement pictures is effortlessness. In order to look comfortable in front of a camera you should feel and look comfortable. You don’t want to be in a dress or pair of shoes that you usually don’t wear. Wear something you know that you are awesome at rocking at and go with it! Don’t wear something because you thought it looked cute in another person’s photos. Your pictures will be way more natural if you and your fiance’ would normally wear the outfits you picked.
- Colors don’t need to ‘match’, they just need to ‘go’. Also, wearing a lot of white is not great in front of the camera.
- You and your fiance’ should look like you are going to the same place/event. In other words, don’t wear a fancy dress when your fiance is wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
- Hiring a professional to do your makeup, or scheduling your makeup trial the day of your engagement photos is a great idea. Getting your makeup done is actually a small investment that helps you look beautiful and feel confident – which definitely shows up in your pictures.
- Pick a location and style that feels natural for you and your fiance. If you wouldn’t normally set up a picnic in a field at sunset, then why would you do that for your engagement photos? If the scene isn’t natural for you, then in front of the camera it will feel strange. It can be something specific like the coffee shop where you met, or can be more general like being in a park because you both like the outdoors.
If you have any specific questions, let’s chat about it and make your engagement session ah-mazing!!